WWC - Find out, Which Websites Changed
(c) 2003 Simon Bichler
I have a number of bookmarks, that I check for changes on a regular basis.
Most of these websites do not change too often, so I spend too much time
looking for changes where there are none. Therefor I designed this tool,
"Which Website Changed" that looks for changes in a list of websites on a
regular basis (once a day) and notifies me by email, when one of the
websites has changed.
Sourceforge Project Site
Here's what you need to run WWC:
- cron - to start wwc once a day
- wget - a program to download webpages
- a mail subsystem that allows you to send emails using the 'mail' command
- cmp - to compare the new file with the old file
FORMAT OF WEBSITE LIST:
The first line of the config file must contain an email address, that the
reports will be sent to.
The following lines start with a descriptive name for the website, followed
by the address of the website. Everything up to the first http:// or ftp://
is considered to be the name, everything after to be the address.
Empty lines and lines starting with '#' are ignored.
- make an installation script, that performs the actions from the
INSTALLATION paragraph above automatically.
- Only show a website as changed, when more than a few characters